The Peace Makers ‘Youth Platform’ was launched in October 2022 with the following objectives:
- providing Libya’s youth, across the country, with a safe platform for collective discussions and debates;
- raising young individuals’ level of awareness on general political and policy issues;
- building a bridge and kick-starting a dialogue between youth leaders and high-level experts and decision-makers;
- building a sustainable network of active, influential youth across the country that can play a future role in policy discussions and mediation initiatives.
- To the extent possible, in-presence meetings in the team’s office in Tripoli were privileged to online meetings.
- Direct outreach meetings were organised with civil society organisations, student unions, youth members of political parties and Libya’s Youth Parliament. These efforts have aimed at increasing the visibility of the initiative and ensuring its inclusivity, building trust with youth organisations and creating partnerships.
- The Youth Platform team has also increased its reach through the “Peace Maker Talk” podcast series (7 episodes published so far), an educational campaign focusing on issues key to Libya’s future and directed at young people from across the country.
As of June 2023, the network includes 400+ members from more than 60 different localities across the country.
During the second part of 2023, the Youth Platform will maintain its focus on issues related to the future of the economy and youth’s visions and expectations. The nexus between the future of Libya’s economy, local governance, and the climate crisis and energy transition has been identified by the project team and by the youth participants as a priority for discussions.
Reflections have also been engaged on possible spin-off projects to be developed, at both the national (Libya) and regional (MENA) levels.
See our latest activities